BoxBilling in Your Language¶
Although BoxBilling displays in U.S. English by default, the software has the built-in capability to be used in any language.
A locale is a combination of language and regional dialect. Usually locales correspond to countries, as is the case with Portuguese (Portugal)[pt_PT] and Portuguese (Brazil)[pt_BR].
You can do a translation for any locale you wish, even other English locales such as Canadian English or Australian English, to adjust for regional spelling and idioms.
The default locale of BoxBilling is U.S. English[en_US].
BoxBilling’s developers chose to use the GNU gettext localization framework to provide localization infrastructure to BoxBilling. gettext is a mature, widely used framework for modular translation of software, and is the de facto standard for localization in the open source/free software realm.
Translating client area with Poedit¶
Assuming translation file is not available at https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/boxbilling/ you can translate BoxBilling using Poedit.
- Download and install http://www.poedit.net/
- Copy bb-locale/en_US folder to bb-locale/es_ES (where es_ES is your locale)
- Open the file bb-locale/es_ES/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po in Poedit.
- You will see two blocks. First for message to be translated, second for translation
- Go to File → Save as… to save your translations in a PO file.
- When you are finished translating, go to File → Save as… again to generate the MO file. Or you can set your Poedit to always compile a MO file when saving changes by clicking File → Preferences and on the Editor tab check the Automatically compile .mo file on save box.
- We would appreciate if you would upload translated file to our language repository.
Depending on theme used in client area, you may require translate additional messages
Adding new language¶
Follow instructions bellow to install new language.
- Check if your language translation file is available at https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/boxbilling/
- In bb-locale folder create folder with your locale name (e.g. pt_BR) and create folder LC_MESSAGES in it
- Add messages.po and messages.mo files to LC_MESSAGES folder you just created (e.g. bb-locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/messages.mo)
- Language will be automatically detected and language picker will appear in client and admin areas
Changing default language¶
Default language can be set in bb-config.php parameter ‘locale’ => ‘en_US’,
Removing languages from BoxBilling is really simple. Just delete language folder you wish from bb-locale/ folder
Adding new es_ES locales in Ubuntu 14.04 Operating System¶
# Change to the locales directory
# Create the script file to add the new locale to the OS. # You can use nano editor to create install_locale.sh file and put inside the following commands:
#!/bin/bash # Install new locale # $ sudo sh install_locale.sh es_ES cd /usr/share/locales ./install-language-pack $1 dpkg-reconfigure locales locale -a
# Save the script file created with nano
CTRL + X y ENTER
# Give exec privileges to the script
chmod +x install_locale.sh
# Run the previous script to generate the new locales
sh install_locale.sh es_ES
# Check the system log
Generating locales… es_ES.UTF-8… up-to-date Generation complete.
# Restart the Web Server
service apache2 restart
# Now reload the BOX Billing app on your web browser to get your BB running in multi-language setup. # Now you can choose spanish language in upper left corner.